Friday, February 24, 2012

What's for Dinner?

A while ago, I took a few cooking classes at the YWCA.  My mom and I went together and one of them was with this recipe.  I will admit that it's my version because I changed out some of the ingredients.  I hope you like it, however just as I did, feel free to get creative and add your own ideas.

Chicken Caprese and Roasted Vegetables

The chicken will take less time than the vegetables so you will want to cut and prepare them, and then begin roasting about 20 minutes ahead of the chicken.


Chicken Caprese

4 split boneless chicken breasts
4-5 tablespoons of pesto sauce (I use the ready made store bought, but fresh would be delish)
1 large red tomato
mozarella cheese (I buy a package and then cut 2 small slices per chicken breast)


1.  Lay the chicken breasts out onto a piece of wax paper and a piece of saran wrap
2. Place another piece of saran wrap over the chicken breasts

I made this for two


Pound these to about 1/4 inch thickness




Spread the pesto sauce on each chicken breast and the cheese and tomatoes on one half of each breast. Notice I used cherry tomatoes because that's what I had on hand.  A whole tomato slice is better:)






Roll each chicken breast (you can secure with a toothpick if needed, and saute for about 20 minutes).





Add some white wine, (or you can use chicken broth), to deglaze the pan just before you are ready to transfer to a plate.

**Should take 20-30 minutes on medium heat to saute these**

Note:  When I took this class, they used anchovy paste, fresh parsley, mozarella cheese, and tomatoes.



Roasted Vegetables

Cut and trim a bundle of asparagus
Slice and trim 4 peppers (I use yellow, red, and orange peppers)
Wash and take stems off a small carton of cherry tomatoes
8-10 small yukon gold yellow potatoes - sliced and quartered
1  half yellow onion
2-4 cloves garlic

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
2. Place potatoes, onions, and garlic on a cookie sheet
3. Drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper
4. Place in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes
5. Next add peppers, asparagus, and tomatoes
 6. Roast for an additional 15-20 minutes




Again, when mom and I took the class, we roasted eggplant, carrots, potatoes, green beans, and tomatoes.  You can substitute whatever you like!

This is one of our favorites:)

Bon Appetit!


No comments:

Post a Comment