Sunday, May 6, 2012

Peace in a Garden

Today was the dedication of our city's Honorary International Peace Garden.  There is a trail of these gardens in New York State commemorating the peaceful friendship our country has had with Canada for the last 200 years, since the War of 1812 ~ I see a future field trip possibility for my students.  However, for today, it was also a chance to recognize and support my mom for her work in this garden.  It has been in the works for the last 2 years.  Dignitaries, media, and many, many volunteers were present for this special event.  Here is the globe representing the hope for peace among nations ~ and put together by our neighbor ...who fixes everything we seem to break - thanks Rob:)



Beautiful flowers.  There will be more gardens and hardscape designs to visit ~ it's a work in progress!


That's my mom assisting the speaker - it was a breezy, but beautiful sunny day!



The stone marking the dedication of the garden.


These are stones that can be purchased and engraved thanking people who have helped to support the creation of this special place.



The moment arrives for the raising of the flags of many nations....


Go Mom and Dad!


Switzerland!  


Aren't these flags just beautiful ~ I must admit that I got goosebumps as they went up!





A twenty one gun salute.



Playing "Taps".......



I can't wait to see how this garden progresses and I love what it stands for.  May you always find peace, whether it be in a garden like this one, or in your own special space and heart:)

Nice job Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment